The combination of CloudAFS and Cloud Desktop provides IT professionals with a complete access solution for their EMC Atmos users. Whether the needs involve expanding storage space, replacing tape backup systems, or supporting various local or remote access scenarios, Gladinet has the answer.
IT professionals with storage expansion needs can use Gladinet CloudAFS to attach EMC Atmos cloud storage to existing IT infrastructure, creating a cost effective multi-tiered storage solution with low migration impact and faster backup or restore times. These benefits come from using local storage as tier one for fast access and attaching cloud storage as tier two for unlimited pay-as-you-go storage. CloudAFS also provides CIFS\NFS access to EMC Atmos storage with Active Directory integration and strong data encryption. Furthermore, the concurrent licensing model adopted by CloudAFS makes it very practical for the group access scenario.
IT professionals who need direct desktop access to the cloud can use Gladinet Cloud Desktop. By mapping cloud storage as a secure virtual network drive, Gladinet Cloud Desktop enables users to seamlessly and quickly access, aggregate and backup to the cloud directly from Windows® Explorer. Cloud Desktop is fully integrated with EMC Atmos Online Storage, AT&T Synaptic Storage, PEER 1 CloudOne Storage and others.
Let’s take a closer look at these solutions:
Attaching EMC Atmos Storage to a File Server with CloudAFSAttaching EMC Atmos cloud storage gives a file server access to a limitless supply of storage with all the benefits that come from cloud computing:
- Reduced Cost - Cloud storage is paid incrementally, saving organizations money. Traditional storage costs range from $1/GB to $5/GB. Cloud storage costs are much lower.
- Increased Storage - Organizations can store more data than on private computer systems.
- Highly Automated - No longer do IT personnel need to worry about keeping software up to date.
- Flexibility - Cloud computing offers much more flexibility than past computing methods.
- More Mobility - Employees can access information wherever they are, rather than having to remain at their desks.
Two common reasons for attaching EMC Atmos storage to a file server are to provide access to workgroup members or to replace a tape backup system.
CloudAFS for Workgroup Access
The SituationYour IT department has outgrown its onsite storage capacity. You need more storage but you don't have the resources. Whether the costs are too high for a new NAS or a bigger SAN, or you don't have the space or power, more of the same just won't do. All this talk of cloud storage is interesting and it certainly sounds cheaper, but it raises as many questions as it answers:
- Do you really want to give a single provider control of your data?
- What about security?
- How can you get all your data into the cloud quickly to avoid downtime?
- How will your users be able to access data from the cloud?
The SolutionUse Gladinet CloudAFS to attach EMC Atmos cloud storage and configure it to publish the attached storage.
- Your storage capacity is virtually limitless and unconstrained by the physical limitations of your IT infrastructure while keeping costs to a minimum.
- Your users can access data from the cloud as quickly as when it was all on the LAN. And they can use CIFS, NFS or Gladinet Cloud Desktop to access the files.
- Your data is stored securely in the cloud using AES 256-bit encryption.
- Gladinet CloudAFS manages the transfer of data between the cloud tier and local tier so that the system is live immediately after installation. There is no need to wait for large data sets to be uploaded.
Once this has been done, they don't have to worry about access points, keys, settings, or complex network configuration issues like making sure that Gladinet Cloud Desktop has access to port 80 on the loopback interface. Everything is managed at the server.
CloudAFS for File Server Backup
The SituationYour IT department has decided to leverage cloud storage for backups. You don't need to give users access to cloud storage, but you want to leverage the lower cost storage for offline backups. As with most enterprises, you recognize that less than 2% of your data is actively used. So, why maintain expensive onsite backups.
The SolutionUse Gladinet CloudAFS to attach cloud storage but do not configure it to publish the attached storage.
The ResultGladinet CloudAFS cloud backup capabilities negate the need for tape or other onsite backups. Users can schedule folder or file type based backups. Furthermore, scheduled backups can be simultaneously saved to multiple cloud storage providers, enhancing reliability and availability.
Provide Direct Access to EMC Atmos with Cloud Desktop
The SituationYour users need to access EMC Atmos storage directly from their PC. They may also need to create backups for data on the PC and access EMC Atmos when off premise.
The SolutionUse Gladinet Cloud Desktop to map EMC Atmos Storage as a network drive.
The ResultUsers can upload or download files and folders using the familiar drag and drop paradigm. They can create scheduled backups based of specific file types or folders. They can manage and monitor their own transfers and use files stored in EMC Atmos storage as if they were sitting on their desktop. And they can do all of this whether they are in the office, at home or on the road.
Visit http://www.gladinet.com/ for more information.